Bloomberg TV: the Fed and Horse Buggy Repair Manuals
- Fed preview: decision due the next day. No change expected but what are your thoughts on the Fed movements this year? Latest speech from Yellen seems not so hawkish on a rate hike. What about the balance sheet?.
- Yellen turning out to be a fence-sitter, just like Theresa May-Be
- The Fed is basing it decision-making by driving with a rear-view mirror
- The Fed is trying to repair a Tesla with a horse buggy manual
- Other central banks: ECB exit on QE? BOJ not keen to follow normalization?
- The ECB and BoJ are equally at fault, driving with rear-view mirrors/repairing Teslas with horse buggy manuals
- Contrary to America’s cyclical recovery, Europe’s welfare museum and Japan’s ossified labour markets are stuck in securlar decline. This means that even if there is a cyclical upturn, it will be “deeply shallow”
- Views on the Asian markets and economies in 2H; what are your top investment themes?
- The key one has to be to start buying in to China. Economic Time® improving, esp. ahead of the 19th Party Congress.
- This means that HK is a buy, too: we are the water skier off the back of the Chinese speed boat!
- Any contrarian view?
- My big contrarian view has to be that the Fed risks policy overshoot: given its anachronistic lens through which it view the economy, it very much risks raising real rates too much in the States. These very well could choke-off America’s brittle “clicks instead of bricks” consumer recovery.
- Markets will sense this imminent slowdown and crash 4Q17-1Q18.
- Anything you wish to flag for discussion?
- The key to America has to be her brittle consumer recovery.
- Consumption is important in that it accounts for about ¾ of any economy’s growth.
- But “clicks are replacing bricks”: online shoppers already account for 10% of consumption and are attacking the well being of physical dept. stores and thus of shopping malls .
- This means that the traditional multiplier effects of private consumption are waning, removing yet another plank to US growth….
DISCLAIMER: THIS BLOG DOES NOT PROVIDE INVESTMENT ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this blog are for informational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views or Enzio von Pfeil. The purpose of this blog is to promote broader understanding, knowledge and awareness of various financial and economic topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for regulated professional investment advice. Always seek the advice of your a regulated investment advisor with any questions you may have regarding your specific investment needs or concerns.
Enzio von Pfeil does not recommend or endorse any strategies or ideas mentioned in this blog. Reliance on any information appearing in this blog is solely at your own risk.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ, UNDERSTAND, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS WHEN VIEWING, READING OR OBSERVING ANY INFORMATION, DATA OR ANY OTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION ON THIS BLOG:
Any information provided to you by us, including any promotional material such as photographs, written descriptions, any plans or models, any income estimates or projections (“Information”) have been provided to us by other sources and although we aim to perform due diligence on all information we provide to our Blog subscribers, the Information is provided for general purposes only, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the Information and we do not make any representations, either express or implied, as to the accuracy as to the Information. We recommend that our Blog subscribers undertake their own due diligence in relation to the asset they are considering purchasing, including seeking independent legal and financial advice in relation to their own financial objectives and personal circumstances, prior to signing any agreement or contract with any third parties.
No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy, likelihood of achievement or reasonableness of any figures, forecasts, prospects or returns (if any) contained in the message. Such figures, forecasts, prospects or returns are by their nature subject to significant uncertainties and contingencies. The assumptions and parameters used by www.enziovonpfeil.com (evp.com) are not the only ones that might reasonably have been selected and therefore evp.com does not guarantee the sequence, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information provided herein. None of evp.com, its members or any of their employees or directors shall be held liable, in any way, for any claims, mistakes, errors or otherwise arising out of or in connection with the content of any form of communication, documentation included in the Blog, via e-mail or any other form of communication.
You are reminded that the content is for personal use and general information only. Under no circumstances is the content intended for and hence the content should not be regarded as an offer or solicitation or recommendation to dispose/sell, an offer or solicitation or recommendation to subscribe in, nor an offer or solicitation or recommendation to buy/acquire and under no circumstances should the content be constituted as provision of any recommendation or investment advice on any securities, investment products, investment arrangements and any other form of investments or legal, tax or other professional advice and therefore should not be relied upon in that regard for making any decision. Unless specifically stated, neither the information nor any opinion contained herein constitutes as an advertisement, an invitation, a solicitation, a recommendation or advice to buy or sell any products, services, securities, futures, options, other financial instruments or provide any investment advice or service by evp.com.
Unless stated otherwise, any opinions or views expressed in this communication may not represent those of evp.com. Opinions or views expressed in this communication may differ from those of other departments or third parties, including any opinions or views expressed in any research issued by evp.com.
Any e-mail and any accompanying attachments are not encrypted and cannot be guaranteed to be secure, complete or error-free as electronic communications may be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, delayed or incomplete, and/or may contain viruses. EvP.com, therefore, does not accept any liability for any interception, corruption, loss, destruction, incompleteness, viruses, errors, omissions or delays in relation to this electronic communication. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Electronic communications carried within the evp.com system may be monitored. Any communication or message in email form or otherwise may contain confidential information. Any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the relevant information outside the original recipients of any messages is strictly prohibited. If you receive a message by mistake, please notify the sender by reply email immediately and permanently delete the emails and its contents. Unless otherwise stated, any communication provided is solely for information purposes only.