RTHK3 Radio Show Notes: Amazon customers are more powerful than union members!
"If you don't like change, you will like irrelevance even less.". Well, things have changed. For instance, retailing vs union members. Shoppers are more powerful than union members, meaning that shoppers disallow strong inflation.
The wild swings in global stocks have continued on Wall Street overnight. There have now been four sessions in a row in which fears of rising inflation have sent bond yields higher pressurising equites, wiping almost $3 trillion from stock value. Stocks initially slipped back last night before rebounding and then falling again as bond yields rose to levels seen just before the latest sell-off began. Traders also blamed computerized trading and sharp declines in short volatility funds that use leverage for the market's recent swings.
Billionaire investor Carl Icahn says the increased volatility is the first “rumbling” of an earthquake ahead. He also warned of a dangerous bubble in passive investing saying that eventually, that will implode and could lead to a crisis bigger than in 2009. “When you start using the market as a casino, that’s a huge mistake,” Icahn said.
- Good Economic Time®. The global Economic Clock® reveals that there is an excess supply of money and an excess demand for goods.
- But it is losing a little steam. However, when I look at my favourite freight indicators, they all show that the global Economic Time peaked this October, and has been waning a little since then.
- What to watch out for. Just recently, the world’s supra-nationals – the World Bank, IMF and OECD – all issued reports lauding our strong global growth. The problem is that these bureaucrats cheat: they fudge what the private sector already has prepared for them – 6-9 months before hand! Thus, when these supra-nationals proclaim that the world economy is going from strength to strength , just bear in mind that these groups’ thinking is about six months behind the curve. I am sure that by now, a few of us economists are sensing somewnat less steam in the economy than it had, say, a year ago.
- Driving by staring at a rear view mirror. Listeners inow that I am very leery of the “inflation is just around the corner” myth.
- Globalisation, technology and demography are braking global growth.
i. No more wage-price inflation. This means that the power of the unions has been virtually broken and thus, that they cannot incite those wage-price spirals which we all got used from the 1960s to 2017.
ii. No more union power è flat yield curve. We all know that bond yields have risen strongly. But for how much longer? Our newer paradigm is that Amazon and the new tech firms are far more powerful when depressing wage-push inflation. This means that inflation will weaken again: the deflationary impact of lower AMAZON is stronger than the inflationary impact of UNIONS
China has responded to the US Trump administration’s slapping of tariffs on imports of solar panels and washing machines by filing a complaint with the World Trade Organisation. China says the tariffs are not consistent with international trade rules and under the WTO process, 30 days of “consultations” will now begin between the 2 countries. China’s pushback against the United States’ more aggressive stance on trade follows an announcement on Sunday by the Chinese Commerce Ministry that it was launching an anti-dumping and anti-subsidy probe into U.S. sorghum imports, a grain used in livestock feed.
The official Xinhua News Agency also added to criticism of America’s trade policies saying: “It's obvious who is creating trade barriers when you see iPhone with "US chip" can be sold freely in China while Huawei mobile phones with "Chinese chip" are prohibited from entering the US market."
- CATS. Reminds me of villainous and brash Macavity in the musical, “CATS”: his evil deeds have anointed him the “Napoleon of crime”. Trump is just a pugilistic thug who wants to create havoc without thinking things through.
- Meaningless measure. So, Kaiser Trump slaps tariffs on American imports from China of solar panels and washing machines – great headline stuff to appeal to his dumb, hillbilly electorate – but not material enough to make a dent in America’s trade deficit with China.
- Tit for tat. Now the Chinese are responding by initiating anti-dumping and anti-subsidy probes into their imports of sorghum from the United States.
- Pugilistic bun fight to heat-up.
- “Foreigners are for free”. This was the single most important “take-away” of my many years’ working with Capitol Hill on trade politics. The same attitude will apply to the Chinese “electorate”
- “All politics are local.” This is my “take-away” from my daily geo-political reading.
- Bun fights heat up. Trump is positioning himself and his party for victory in the 6th November 2018 “mid-term” elections in America. Listeners and readers MUST evaluate EVERY UTTERANCE of Kaiser Trump as being geared towards a Republican election victory this Fall.
- Lambaste foreigners. Naturally, he will pick on foreigners’ “unfair trade practices “
- “Wartime President”? More ominously, he also will seek to antagonise N Korea even more- in order to deflect from his domestic policy issues at home – such as the Russia probe…
DISCLAIMER: THIS BLOG DOES NOT PROVIDE INVESTMENT ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this blog are for informational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views or Enzio von Pfeil. The purpose of this blog is to promote broader understanding, knowledge and awareness of various financial and economic topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for regulated professional investment advice. Always seek the advice of your a regulated investment advisor with any questions you may have regarding your specific investment needs or concerns.
Enzio von Pfeil does not recommend or endorse any strategies or ideas mentioned in this blog. Reliance on any information appearing in this blog is solely at your own risk.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ, UNDERSTAND, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS WHEN VIEWING, READING OR OBSERVING ANY INFORMATION, DATA OR ANY OTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION ON THIS BLOG:
Any information provided to you by us, including any promotional material such as photographs, written descriptions, any plans or models, any income estimates or projections (“Information”) have been provided to us by other sources and although we aim to perform due diligence on all information we provide to our Blog subscribers, the Information is provided for general purposes only, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the Information and we do not make any representations, either express or implied, as to the accuracy as to the Information. We recommend that our Blog subscribers undertake their own due diligence in relation to the asset they are considering purchasing, including seeking independent legal and financial advice in relation to their own financial objectives and personal circumstances, prior to signing any agreement or contract with any third parties.
No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy, likelihood of achievement or reasonableness of any figures, forecasts, prospects or returns (if any) contained in the message. Such figures, forecasts, prospects or returns are by their nature subject to significant uncertainties and contingencies. The assumptions and parameters used by www.enziovonpfeil.com (evp.com) are not the only ones that might reasonably have been selected and therefore evp.com does not guarantee the sequence, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information provided herein. None of evp.com, its members or any of their employees or directors shall be held liable, in any way, for any claims, mistakes, errors or otherwise arising out of or in connection with the content of any form of communication, documentation included in the Blog, via e-mail or any other form of communication.
You are reminded that the content is for personal use and general information only. Under no circumstances is the content intended for and hence the content should not be regarded as an offer or solicitation or recommendation to dispose/sell, an offer or solicitation or recommendation to subscribe in, nor an offer or solicitation or recommendation to buy/acquire and under no circumstances should the content be constituted as provision of any recommendation or investment advice on any securities, investment products, investment arrangements and any other form of investments or legal, tax or other professional advice and therefore should not be relied upon in that regard for making any decision. Unless specifically stated, neither the information nor any opinion contained herein constitutes as an advertisement, an invitation, a solicitation, a recommendation or advice to buy or sell any products, services, securities, futures, options, other financial instruments or provide any investment advice or service by evp.com.
Unless stated otherwise, any opinions or views expressed in this communication may not represent those of evp.com. Opinions or views expressed in this communication may differ from those of other departments or third parties, including any opinions or views expressed in any research issued by evp.com.
Any e-mail and any accompanying attachments are not encrypted and cannot be guaranteed to be secure, complete or error-free as electronic communications may be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, delayed or incomplete, and/or may contain viruses. EvP.com, therefore, does not accept any liability for any interception, corruption, loss, destruction, incompleteness, viruses, errors, omissions or delays in relation to this electronic communication. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Electronic communications carried within the evp.com system may be monitored. Any communication or message in email form or otherwise may contain confidential information. Any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the relevant information outside the original recipients of any messages is strictly prohibited. If you receive a message by mistake, please notify the sender by reply email immediately and permanently delete the emails and its contents. Unless otherwise stated, any communication provided is solely for information purposes only.